Monday, March 15, 2010

Song258_Similar Voices

I approached today's recording session with a vague idea of what I wanted to create. I recorded a few drum sequences that I had never used before, and next I wrote the guitar progression while recorded the distorted guitar (which was recorded throughout the song, then deleted during the interlude section). I didn't like either. The rhythms were too slow for what I had originally envisioned and the guitar progression was too dissonant. I deleted everything, bumped up the BPM to 130 (from 120), and I repeated the process using different drum sequences and a different chord progression (F#m-A-D, then E-A-F#m-E). It was worth it to start over. I immediately heard a new melody in my head, which became the vocal (and guitar) melody during the singing sections. The song is actually called "Similar Voices" because of the way the guitars (distorted e-bow and delayed picking) mirror each other. Additional instruments used: bass guitar, acoustic guitar, solo violin, random noises, and 2 vocal tracks.

I started this song around 1600, and I worked on it (off-and-on) until 2210. I still have a few things to get done tonight: create a new webpage to accommodate this week's album (I filled up another page of albums!), create the album artwork for Week #37, and change my guitar strings.

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment