Friday, March 12, 2010

Song255_Escalator

I started today with the idea of creating an entire song with only 4-5 tracks. There was a good reason for this. The amount of time I've spent operating a computer mouse has taken a tole on my wrist. I started noticing the pain a few times each month, then at least once each week, then every day, and now it's starting to hurt even when I'm not working. I'm searching for solutions, but, for now, minimizing my time recording might help.

Anyway, I started writing this song by finding the drum sequence that plays in the first section. It's very low-fidelity, and the sound reminded me of Guided By Voices, so I continued by writing the distorted guitar (A-C#-D...Bm-E), the bass, and the synth vocals. I completed these tracks in about an hour, and it sounded solid, full. However, I couldn't leave it alone...came back to it after lunch and added: 2 electric guitars picking solo notes, an e-bow guitar, a tambourine, and an additional drum sequence (appearing in the center section). It's about 10 tracks total, which is still modest compared to others in this project. Fortunately, I was able to write and record this song in about 2.5 hours.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment