Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Song246_New Destinations

This song was written on the acoustic guitar. I found a few chord progressions that I liked, and I worked out some rough melodies for each section before recording anything. I used my digital voice recorder to capture some rough ideas, which gave me a great visual template of what needed to be done today. I recorded the acoustic guitar and the bass guitar, and then I decided to record the vocals before layering any other instruments (though it was tempting to continue layering). The vocals are basic, but I like the harmonies at the ending....both harmony parts were sung and written spontaneously...each only requiring one take. There ended up being 15-18 tracks in this song (including a violin, a harmonica, etc), and it took me about 4.5 hours from start to finish.

LYRICS: "I'm always plotting the next move. I see things coming, I just react slow. You're always living in the 'right now.' Happy not knowing the 'why' and 'how.' Is it a matter of time? A matter of heart? Is it a test of patience or time to take big chances? You say that you'll come along without knowing where we're going. Maybe you're the wise one. The trip is the destination."

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment