Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Song259_Placement

Today's song completes another album, Week37_Controller. The new album will be available for $5 later today at http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/.

The foundation of today's song was created on the bass guitar. I found 3 separate progressions that I liked (such as: D-E-G-A), paired them each to unique drum rhythms, and then added acoustic guitar. The way this song changes progressions (and never returns) is for those with short attention spans. In fact, each section is like it's own song (with its own unique instruments, melodies, and tones), so it's probably comforting to the schizophrenic as well. The vocals were last-minute. The opening (spoken) audio was recorded into my digital voice-recorder, then played back into an AKG vocal mic (with reverb and delay added).

Brandon Arnold stopped by while I was recording, so I had him record the opening few measures of this song on the acoustic guitar (the 'D' chord that's strummed once every 4 beats). He's been playing guitar for almost a year, and he's made good progress. I don't think strumming this one chord challenged his abilities, but it was probably a good first experience with recording. Wearing headphones, playing to a 'click' track, and knowing that the "record" button is activated can be intimidating.

I have now successfully completed 37 consecutive weeks of recording a new song every day. I have not yet decided what next week's album will be like. I don't have a title, artwork, or any music prepared yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment