Saturday, August 29, 2009

Song060_Defining Moments

We left town this morning at 3am and rode the 'Hotter Than Hell' (100k) cycling race in Wichita Falls, TX (3hrs 35min 48sec). We didn't get back until late afternoon, and (although I had given it lots of thought) I didn't have a specific plan for today's song. I decided to record an instrumental that mirrors my feelings about the day's events.

The ride was great...great scenery, great company, fast track, no crashes, etc. I rode without any music today, and I enjoyed the time to think. I kept recalling "defining moments" that I've witnessed...some great and some catastrophes, but all of them truly "defining." It's hard, if not impossible, to anticipate defining moments...just have to always be ready.

The primary track in this song is an acoustic guitar which I recorded through direct input (using GuitarRig 3). It's layered with a few delay effects and large-room reverbs. The analog bass was recorded next. There are two electric guitar tracks that have dueling E-bow parts. (An "E-bow" is an electronic device that you hold against a guitar string. The magnet in the E-bow reacts to the magnet in the guitar pick-ups...creating a sound that emulates a violin bow). The "icing" on the song was: a computerized vocal section, a french horn, and a few other random sounds.

I hope you enjoy the song.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment