Monday, August 24, 2009

Song055_Busted Speakers

I recorded the distorted guitar track for this song around 1pm, and then I thought about themes and lyrics while eating a late lunch. This is "communications" week, so I wanted to write a song about input and output malfunctions. Technical issues with the input/output process can ruin intent, and it made me think of an old stereo that I had during 7th-9th grades. One of the speakers got a tear in the plastic part of the sound-cone. Any amount of volume beyond "2" made that particular speaker rattle and distort the sounds coming from my favorite cassette tapes. I liked this portable player, so much so that I kept it even when the other speaker contracted a similar condition. My favorite bands didn't sound as good...no matter how hard they tried. Sometimes I wonder if my mixes sound good on the 1" tweeter phone-speaker that you use to listen to my music.

In addition to writing lyrics about this situation I thought it would be creative if I mixed the song to sound like it was coming out of busted speakers. The drum sounds were chosen (and edited) to appear sharp like they're whipping frayed plastic back and forth. The vocals were doubled (and tripled) with various individual effects that mimic extreme speaker malfunctions. Of course, this song might only seem creative if you read the blog first. Otherwise, you might just think I need more practice in the studio.

LYRICS: "These standard issue sonic cones resonate the plastic where it frayed, but it's not just a cone. It's a gateway to hearing clearer notes and tones."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment