Thursday, August 13, 2009

Song044_Backup Plan

This song was completely written today. I started with a title, a few lines of lyrics and 3 guitar chords. Once I started adding keyboards I split the song into two sections and focused on each individually...tying them together with horns and cymbals. It didn't take shape as a song until the last few tracks, but I like the final product.

The lyrical theme is obvious...it's better to prepare for bad times during good times. I was a whitewater rafting guide in Tennessee for a summer (Nolichucky River). We had a few incidents on the river, and it was interesting to see who panicked and who reacted. It inspired me to train later as an Emergency Medical Technician. Some people have better dispositions for this type of work/training than others, but (generally speaking) everyone reacts better to adverse situations when they've been educated on what to do. It also helps to rehearse possible scenarios until your responses become instinctive. When an actual emergency happens you can rely on that repetition and muscle memory to help balance the adrenalin and chaos.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment