Monday, August 10, 2009

Song041_Senorita Carlita

I'd like to be in a traditional Mariachi band someday. I'd also like to create an experimental Mariachi band that uses traditional instruments plus electronic rhythms, electric guitars, banjos and keyboards. Trust me...it would sound great.

This song started with about 5 different rhythms. I know Carly likes Latino rhythms, congas, etc, and I threw in some dance beats to drive the changes. I added a 4 chord progression with a distorted guitar (muffled strums for extra percussive effect), then analog bass. The song took shape nicely, although I still struggle with knowing when to stop adding tracks. It sounded pretty good with 8-10 tracks, but I added an additional 5-6 tracks that seemed to improve the overall sound. Would 5-6 more tracks have helped just as much? Maybe...especially if I had access to 5-6 real Mariachi singers.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment