Saturday, August 15, 2009

Song046_Critical

This song was fairly easy to record, but it was difficult to mix. I started with a simple guitar progression that I wrote today. There wasn't a clear plan, but I found a BPM and a guitar effect that worked with that progression. After that, I added some percussion, analog bass, then a few additional guitars. The final EQ was tricky. I had an overload of frequency in a certain range. Instead of reducing that frequency in the final EQ (and possibly masking other instruments that share that frequency range). I chose to find the tracks that needed better individual attention. Once I corrected a few of the electric guitars it seemed to work.

The lyrics/melody were spontaneous, but it fit the "Emergency" theme for this week's album. I've been trying to create lyrics based on my experiences in Emergency Medical Services. As a Paramedic student I had to work a certain number of shifts in the Intensive Care Unit at the county hospital...great learning experiences. The lyrics of this song were inspired by a few of those experiences.

LYRICS: "Your condition has no remedies at this time. A broken heart is more than we can mend. Oh, say it ain't so. The mess I'm in...I'm in alone. I knew you when you weren't in pieces. You cussed much less, but who is blameless."

I like the opening statement. Working in hospitals and on ambulances I got to hear (and deliver) bad news to others. The worst kinds of news. Anyway, I think the opening statement would be the worst statement to hear as a patient. However, it was meant to be a reference to 'the human condition.' The alternate lyrics for the first verse were: "Your condition has no remedies at this time. A severed head is more than we can mend. Our test results revealed that you are human. Take a moment to let the news soak in."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment