Saturday, August 8, 2009

Song039_Something Special

Brandon and I wrote and recorded this song after an early (long) bike ride. Brandon is fluent on the drums, so we were able to work out the idea for today's song by playing through it together (a luxury I don't have when recording solo). This helped the song to take shape quickly. I recorded the acoustic guitars and the electric guitar, then Brandon recorded the analog bass. I wrote the lyrics while Brandon pieced together the rhythm section. The distorted guitar and horns gave this song a fullness that it didn't have previously (they were the last tracks to be added). We intended for this song to be simple (i.e. low track count), but it ended up having about 20 separate ingredients.

LYRICS: "There's something special tucked deep inside you. So easy to see, but hard to get to. Most of the time it's hard to believe. That you took the bet, and you gambled on me. My eyes opened wide, your smile too big to hide. Your heart, like my own. My arms will be your home."

Carly just heard this song, and she says it's her favorite one so far for this week. Success.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment