Saturday, May 1, 2010

Song305_Vacuums

Today's song was recorded in a unique and uncommon way (for me). I did not use a 'click' track (i.e. metronome) to record or edit this instrumental. (There's a synth sequence that has rhythm. It didn't line up with the click, but it was helpful to cue off this instrument.) Back when I recorded music using a 4-track cassette-tape machine this was standard. In fact, I had never used a 'click' track until I entered digital/computer-based recording. Of course, it has been a standard process since then, and it has it's benefits...particularly for an overdubbing, solo-recording-artist like me. Another thing that made today's recording process unique was the number of instruments that I was able to track in only one take (4 out of 7). So, I was able to write and record this instrumental in under 2 hours...including mixing and mastering. (For this project, it has typically taken 5-7 hours to write, record, and mix one song).

Earlier today I rode the North Shore trails at GV Lake (12 miles in 1:56:35). It's been a long week, so I'm going to celebrate the early completion of this song by taking a nap before the fight starts (Mayweather vs. Mosley).

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment