Monday, May 17, 2010

Song321_Flyby

I was able to write and record today's song, an 8-track instrumental, in 2 hours. I got a late start, so I took a simple approach to writing this song...one that worked even better than expected. I started by selecting, editing, and altering 3 different drum sequences. Next, I recorded the bass guitar, which provided a solid foundation for layering guitars. There are 4 separate electric guitar tracks...each with a different pre-set. I like the combination of sounds, notes, textures, etc...so I decided not to add any synth tracks.

Even though this song came together quickly, I had some trouble with the final Mastering process (which took an additional 1.5 hours). I made slight adjustments to frequency levels and overall levels multiple times, but I was having trouble getting the overall levels raised without over-emphasizing certain frequencies. The compression plug-ins were doing their job too well, and the clarity was compromised from trying to get a strong overall volume. I think I found a balance. I want each song to be loud, yet 'clipping' (i.e. too much signal which causes an unwanted 'digital distortion') is unacceptable. Also, I try to have variance in the volume. If the entire song is loud then it reduces the dramatic effect of the purposeful 'ups-and-downs.' I like that music is artistic AND scientific. I like that I still have room to grow in both areas.

Tomorrow's song will complete the next album, Week46_Atoms in Harmony. I spent a few hours last night drawing this week's album design, and I should have everything posted by mid-afternoon tomorrow (Tuesday).

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment