Friday, May 7, 2010

Song311_For Forever

I woke up at 0500 today, ate breakfast, played Super Mario Bros until 0630 (on my original Nintendo set), mowed and weedeated commercial properties in Ft. Worth until 1230, slept for 2 hours, and then started writing today's song. I created the foundation by strumming chord progressions on the electric guitar (set to a 'click' at 134bpm). Next, I recorded the second electric guitar which is slightly more distorted. For this part I played the same chords but lower on the neck of the guitar...and sometimes in 'open' or altered formations. Then, I recorded the bass guitar. I liked the rough and gritty sound of these 3 instruments without any drums, keys, vocals, etc. I kept a few sections of the songs without any drums, but I thought about these 3 tracks being the only instruments in the entire song. I wrote and recorded the vocals before adding any keys. I did this by experimenting with melodies while the record button was enabled. From there, I wrote a few lyrics and gave each part a few tries (by now it was after 2200). Carly, my wife, sings in the 'chorus' sections. I added 3-4 synth tracks to add texture and contrast to each of the sections.

I completed today's song at 2348.

LYRICS: "I know that the future is just seconds away, but you're that habit I just can't break. Come on, be mine. From the depths, hold on. For forever."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment