Friday, May 28, 2010

Song332_In The Open

I wasn't able to start today's song until 2000, but I still managed to complete it before midnight. I'm doing some marketing work for an organization that sponsors missionaries in Fiji. We met earlier today, and they needed a few web design features created by tomorrow (for an upcoming event on the island). I am doing a family portrait tomorrow (and recording), so I devoted a good chunk today to this project, which went very well.

Anyway, I started this song by finding some rhythms and chords on the electric guitar. The progression that I found was in 3/4 time, so I recorded it and started searching for percussion, but I wasn't happy with how the tempo, strumming pattern, and drums were combining. The initial tracks are critical (like the foundation is to a house), so I started over. This used up some time, but it was worth it in the long run. I switched to 4/4 timing, changed the tempo (from 80bpm to 100bpm), and got it down in a few takes. Next, I added drums and then bass guitar. The next guitar that I added is featured in the 'Chorus' sections only, and it's a series of octave notes that create a contrasting melody with the other guitars. Next, I added an e-bow part (i.e. "electric bow"), a picking guitar, a string section, and a female synth choir (featured in the 'Bridge' section only). This layout and tune of this song would've worked well with vocals, but I ran out of time. I still like it as an instrumental.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment