Saturday, October 31, 2009

Song123_Closing In

Today is Halloween...the last day of October, which means that I've been recording for 4 months (123 consecutive days)! I've completed 4 songs on the newest album, Even Steven, and focusing on electric guitar rhythms has been refreshing. I like the combination of elements in this week's music.

I started today's song by recording 2-3 drum sections (to find a good rhythm and to assist with recording the foundational guitar parts). The electric guitar was recorded and edited, and then I added bass guitar, a few solo guitars, and some additional percussion (cymbal swells, tambourine, etc). I didn't decide to add vocals until the final hour of recording, but I'm glad that I did. I wrote the lyrics while finding the melody, recorded 2-3 takes of each part, then quickly did a final mix. I started this song early in the day (around 8:30am), but I took a break (to ride and run at Legacy) and returned to recording around 6pm. This song took a little longer that the average song...maybe 7 hours.

LYRICS: "Your new persona, (is) like an animal feeding. (You're) touring the country, like a wealthy baby. You're at an all-time high. Your sunken eyes tell a bitter story. Fortune at what price? You're rich and lonely. No wonder you're tongue-tied. I can feel the earth changing course. Subtle like your breath on my neck. I can feel the edge closing in. Sort of how the dead wait for us."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment