Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Song176_Outlaw Brothers

Today's recording begins a new album (Week26_Outlaw Brothers), and I've decided to try something new. Last week I asked my friend, Jason Houp, if he'd let me use some of his (un-used) lyrics. He emailed about 15 sets of lyrics to me a few days ago, and I'll be using these song premises as my starting-point each day. He's given me free reign to adjust the lyrics as needed, and he also said I could put these words to any music I'd like to write. This is a very generous offer, and it gives me a unique new approach to songwriting for this week.

I structured the lyrics for today's song late last night. I ended up shaving off a lot of words, and I added a few verses of my own, but I wasn't exactly sure what chords and melody would fit at the time. I liked the theme of these lyrics, and his original idea created a domino effect on today's creativity. I wrote, recorded, mixed, mastered, and published this tune in just under 4 hours.

LYRICS: "I've got no money in my wallet. I've got no change in my pockets. Now that I'm clean I see the world is downright mean. I got no friends on the streets. I got no family to meet. I'm clean and free with nowhere to be. We're outlaw brothers through thick and thin. Sure to make it out, but we're not sure when. They kept coming at us from all around, and now my outlaw brother lies dead on the ground. I got no job for support. No woman to court. Now that I'm finally clean I see the world is downright mean. There's no sense in us stickin' around this circle of friends from the lost-and-found. Now that I'm clean I see the world is downright mean. We're outlaw brothers through thick and thin. Sure to make it out, but not sure when. They kept coming at us from all around, and now my outlaw brother lies dead on the ground."

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment