Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Equipment Preparations

When I first started recording I had: a Tascam 4-Track cassette recorder, one SM58 mic, a guitar, a Casio keyboard, a borrowed drum set and a variety of miscellaneous instruments and toys that made noise. Today, almost 20 years later, I have made some upgrades, yet I'm still just a modest "home-studio" when compared to others. My current equipment list now includes: 6 mics, a newer Casio keyboard (with weighted keys...finally), a banjo, some guitars and a (different) borrowed drum set. I've been in high-dollar recording studios before, and they're nice. However, I'm thankful for the convenience and affordability of my personal studio, ThreeByNine.

I have been able to make a few recent purchases to help with this project. Paul Allen at Sweetwater has been a knowledgable and trustworthy salesman over the years (paul_allen@sweetwater.com). Also, Adrian Gamez (adrian@secondstoryms.com), a friend and a Guitar Center employee, was also able to get me some great deals.

In the end, it's not how much gear you own, it's how you use the gear you have.

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment