Friday, November 13, 2009

Song136_Fixed

I structured some drum sequences and the bass guitar for today's song, and then I took a lunch break. I knew that Brandon (Steach) was coming over today, so I wanted to keep the possibilities open. We listened to the song in its rough form a few times and then brainstormed ideas. This proved to be pretty productive, and we ended up experimenting with some new sounds and editing techniques. My favorite section is the intro...the 3 electric guitars that are essentially one part played on 3 separate tracks (and panned for effect). The lyrical premise for this song is fun, sarcastic, and a little dark. I met a guy once that had trouble traveling without advanced knowledge of when/where a local A.A. meeting would be held. He had been sober for years, but it appeared that he had traded one addiction for another. I guess that's a healthy trade, but it's still ironic. The lyrics were written in 10-15 minutes, and were mostly made up to fill space. Some of them are clever, but there's not a deep hidden message...just words about a fictional person and circumstance.

LYRICS: "Psychologists struggle for words to explain you, but psychiatry fixed you. Or, at least (it) made an attempt to. You were a mental mess, now you're boring but stable. You're not afraid of germs anymore. But you struggle to wake before the day ends, and (you) study alternate words for commonly stuttered phrases. I won't always see well so stand there and hold still. You might not always be beautiful, but you'll still be a handful."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment