Thursday, November 12, 2009

Song135_On The Double

Today's song is about a convenience-driven society...where "fast isn't fast enough." I saw something early this morning that summed up this thought. A woman in a minivan (immediately after ordering her microwaved breakfast from McDonald's) accelerated around the drive-thru path at race-pace (with tires squeeling)...apparently in an effort to make the drive-thru experience even quicker. I tried to summarize this thought years ago with a cartoon drawing of a man getting a haircut at a drive-thru barber.

LYRICS: "Sometimes fast isn't fast enough. Sometimes time can't keep up. Don't speed through the corners when placing drive-thru orders for double-adjective burgers and five-minute divorces. You can buy convenience online, and have it shipped 'Overnight.' Nobody likes to wait in the USA."

Some of the above lyrics didn't make it into the song due to space/timing issues. "Double-adjective" food has always amused me...products like: Biggie Double, Tasty McCheesy, Super Deluxe, etc. When food marketers do that kind of thing it's both hilarious and insulting. I guess they're counting on the photo to describe what you'll actually be eating. Anyway, back to 'convenience.' I have seen actual signs for quick "faultless divorce" filings...none as quick as 5-minutes, but I'm sure someone is working on that.

I started the music idea with a synth keyboard. I had a much different vision for the overall sound of today's song, but the layering process took me somewhere different. I worked on it for 5 hours straight, so I'll have to come back and listen later before I form my own opinions, but it seems to have worked.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment